Food for thought

Saturday, August 21, 2010

This is not the post I intended to put up today. I am working on one about my daughter medical test and helpful hints on that and a great nurse practitioner.

But then I saw this from the FDA. Food Recall Link  It made me think how lucky I am. I buy most veggies from the farmers at the farmers market. My meat is from within 100 miles at the Whole Food store. My milk from a local dairy. My eggs from the small farm a few miles over where they are free range.

Point is I know where my food comes from. I have it fresh and if there is a nationwide recall I am pretty safe from where I get my food. There are enough local farmers where I am at that if one has trouble I just buy from the others down the road. They take pride in their food and will tell me when something is damaged. For example, “ the melons are very soft but they are good to eat take two for the price of one”. “ Tomatoes are strange looking but good for sauce”.

Due to necessity and convenience, we usually have no idea where our food comes from and so we increase the danger of the recalls. I do not know how the spinach is packed or the eggs are handled at our supermarkets. I have to trust them. I see how the food is packed at the local farmers market and see the care they have for the food.

If you can buy local. Help our farmers. You are not only helping the environment but keeping you and your family safe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do you like my post?

A Mom's Life Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino