Angels Come when you least expect it

Friday, August 27, 2010

A few weeks ago, my daughter needed a medical test performed at a well know NYC Hospital. It was a non -intrusive test but would be very long. She was testing for lactose intolerance with a breath test. It was negative our search goes on. Prior to the test she was on a restricted bland diet. Little girls on restricted diets don’t do well. All the cartoons had a food theme that day. Little brother only wanted to talk about ice cream and very good foods. We had him on a restricted diet to limit the foods she saw.

Towards the end of the day it occurred to me that I was not sure if she could drink water in the morning. Could she brush her teeth with toothpaste? Simple questions but if I choose the wrong one I could invalidate a test and have to do this all over again. It is an hour and a half drive to NYC and we needed to leave before the testing center opened. I doubted that I would hear back from them in time.

I called and e-mailed my contact anyway. And would you believe it! I got a response right back. Our pediatric Nurse Clinician Aris A. sent me back a detailed e-mail and a text message. He was even able to accommodate us from our long trip. As soon as we got there we rested and freshened up and the test started. He knew children. She was very scared even though we all said that it would not hurt. He told her Daddy could try the drink first and then she would drink it all up. Daddy did and gave her a big smile and she ended up asking for more. I knew she was thirsty as not even a drop of water could she drink.

It was a long test, about three hours. We played on her DSI, read books, Mom crocheted a shawl and Dad read and read. Yet every time that Aris came by he would walk right up to her and explain to her what was happening. He taught her how to blow up the balloon and what a good job she was doing. He even thought to bring her books to read that were at her level.

His kindness and professionalism of answering a late placed email impressed me. Too often, we do not praise or acknowledge the little things in life. I call them the little angel acts. A kind word comforts a frightened child. A smile relaxes one. A return of an email or phone call comforts a distraught mother. Each action in and of itself is small and yet if even one were missing the result would not have been so good.

I have a little girl who knows she needs more tests and is not afraid to go back. She knows she will meet with friendly people and be safe. I only wish and hope that everyone she meets is as kind and professional as Aris. Thank you Aris for a job well done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do you like my post?

A Mom's Life Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino